(Australian Associated Press)
HOW SMART ELECTRICITY METERS WORK
* Records electricity usage every 30 minutes with the data automatically sent to power distributors.
* Eliminates the need for a meter reader to visit homes, reducing fees.
* Householders can monitor their electricity use by accessing the data.
* Offer a flexible pricing option, as opposed to a fixed rate, so customers can pay less for electricity after 10pm.
IS FLEXIBLE PRICING RIGHT FOR YOU?
* Introduced to encourage householders to use power when there is less demand.
* Peak is 3pm to 9pm and offpeak is 10pm to 7am.
* If you use a lot of electricity at peak times and can’t change this, the meters may not work for you.
* Night owls and businesses that operate overnight have potential to save.
* Changing from flexible usage back to fixed may incur fees from distributors.
HOW MANY VICTORIANS USE FLEXIBLE PRICING?
* 0.27 per cent of customers have signed up for flexible pricing, well below the 2014 target of 4 per cent or the 2017 target of 15 per cent.
SOURCE: Victorian Government