(Australian Associated Press)
Taking over $13 million in its opening weekend, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has dominated the Aussie box office over Easter.
Despite middling reviews, the public are flocking to see director Zack Snyder’s Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice.
Starring Ben Affleck (Batman) and Henry Cavill (Superman), the movie took $13.156 million at the local box office, according to the Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia.
The film soared ahead of its closest competition, rom-com My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 ($4.008 million) in second.
Animated movies, Zootopia (Disney) and Kung Fu Panda 3 (DreamWorks) landed in third and fourth place while two British movies, London Has Fallen and The Lady In The Van, were fifth and sixth respectively.
Another superhero film, the irreverent Deadpool starring Ryan Reynolds, took nearly $500,000 in its seventh week of release. At number eight, the mysterious horror film 10 Cloverfield Lane, fell from last week’s third spot.
British thriller Eye In The Sky, featuring the late Alan Rickman, was at number nine while Bollywood film Ambarsariya rounded out the top 10.
TOP 10 FILMS FOR THE WEEKEND MARCH 24 TO 28:
1 Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice (Warner Bros) – $13.156 million
2. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Universal) – $4.008 million
3. Zootopia (Disney) – $3.152 million
4. Kung Fu Panda 3 (Fox/Dreamworks) – $2.565 million
5. London Has Fallen (Roadshow) – $958,135
6. The Lady In The Van (Sony Pictures) – $512,308
7. Deadpool (Fox) – $498,608
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane (Paramount) – $334,989
9. Eye In The Sky (Entertainment One) – $329,637
10 Ambarsariya (Mindblowing Films) – $249,785
* Source: Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia.